[gameprogrammer] Re: AI in games

  • From: "Chris Nystrom" <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:24:25 -0500

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Matthew Weigel <unique@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  That's a simple way to *describe* it, but it's often quite hard.  It's
>  often far more feasible to build in a bunch of short cuts.

I get you. I guess I was describing the ideal. I know you commercial
guys have to do what you have to do to ship on time.

I know it is quite common for the AI to cheat in an attempt to make
the game more challenging for the players. I had a friend quit playing
Civilization when he figured out that the AI was cheating. It was
quite easy to see. For example, triremes have to stay near the coast
or they sink, but every once in a while you would catch the AI
triremes plowing across the ocean.

So the next best thing is if your AI is going to cheat, try to make it
cheat in a way that the human player does not notice!

Chris

--
E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Saving the world from web programming.