[frgeek-michiana] Re: MSN Explorer problem at SBWD

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:53:45 -0500

The owner and staff have used MSN Explorer daily for quite a while and want to retain it. Right now, cutting MSN Explorer lose isn't on the table.

I will recommend a paid MS Support call to deal with the issue if I can't find any other way to fix the problem. If MS Support says MSN Explorer cannot be resuscitated on this particular machine or they won't support it on any machine, the owner will have to consider abandoning it.

Tom

Rick Tribble wrote:
Remove all traces of MSN explorer. Just use Internet explorer or Firefox. MSN Explorer is a very old thing that needs to go.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    One of the clerks at SBWD, our warehouse benefactor, inadvertently
    quarantined MSN Explorer with Kaspersky A/V on her XP system. The
    owner, Abe, un-quarantined it. However, some part of MSN Explorer
    remained quarantined so the menu and desktop icons were gone.

    I used Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to re-install MSN
    Explorer so the desktop and menu icons are back and functional.
    MSN Explorer fires. The login icons are there, but MSN Explorer
    doesn't see the LAN Internet connection. When I run the Connection
    Settings wizard inside MSN Explorer, it only offers dialup access,
    not LAN access. The MSN Connection wizard does the same. In
    Control Panel/Network Connections, the MSN connection icon is
    grayed out, and the Properties option doesn't present anything useful.

    Has anyone seen this problem? How did you resolve the issue? Any
    troubleshooting ideas are appreciated.

    PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you
    wish for it to be in the public domain.

    http://www.freegeekmichiana.org <http://www.freegeekmichiana.org/>

    To post to the list send email to frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
    The archive is available at
    //www.freelists.org/archives/frgeek-michiana/

    You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the
    list website at //www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana