Re: [foxboro] replacing field Op panels

  • From: "John Metsker" <John.Metsker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:29:07 -0600

At General Mills, we have started to lean toward using the new Wyse
5150SE terminal as a replacement for HP/NCD X terminals.  It is a Linux
based device that is server agnostic; it supports X and Windows terminal
services (RDP/ICA).  It needs to be mounted in an industrial just like a
PC or X terminal.  It's retail price is approximately $400.

I would recommend a non-Windows based, thin client device (i.e. no
moving parts) in the "field."  I would avoid duplication of display
engineering in a 2nd tool at all costs.

John Metsker
General Mills, Inc