Re: [foxboro] FBM230/Modbus slave too fast problem

  • From: Pablo Lioi <plioi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 23:51:00 +0000

I would like to share my conclusions about this problem so far, as I think they
may be useful for others.
In my original post I omitted some details for the sake of simplicity, but now
I will describe my problem and findings more thoroughly.
Right now I have an FBM230 talking to a Fisher ROC using Modbus RTU over RS232,
at 9600 bps, on port 3. This communication is working ok.
I want to modify my system so that I can use Port 3 to communicate with 3
(networked) Fisher ROCs using Modbus/TCP. So I installed a Modbus Serial to
Modbus TCP Gateway (Schneider TSX ETG100), connected Port 3 of the FBM230 to
the serial port of the gateway and the Ethernet Port of the gateway to the ROC
network. My first test was to read one register from the same ROC I was
previously reading over RS-232. The ROC replies and the gateway converts the
response back to Modbus RTU and sends it to the FBM230, but the FBM230 discards
the message and retries.
I know for sure that settings, cables, dip switches, etc., are Ok, because I'm
monitoring the line with a protocol analyser. As I stated before, I've already
had problems with slaves that replied too quickly to polls from the FBM230, so
this time I made some measurements with the protocol analyser. The results are
as follows:
In my original configuration, with the FBM230 reading from the ROC over RS232
at 9600 bps, the time between the last byte of the query and the first byte of
the response message is 16 ms.
In my new configuration, with the FBM230 connected to the gateway al 9600 bps,
the time between the last byte of the query and the first byte of the response
message is 8 ms. If I change the baudrate to 38400 bps, the time goes down to 5
ms.
Conclusions so far:
- In my new configuration, the difference in response time between 9600 and
38400 bps is due to the 3.5 char times the gateway waits to mark the end of the
incoming message on the serial port. At 9600 bps, this time is 3.4 ms and at
38400, 0.8 ms. As nothing changes on the Ethernet side, I am assuming that the
time it takes for the gateway to convert the message, send it to the ROC over
Ethernet and get the response is the same in both cases (4.5 ms, more or less).
- The FBM230 modbus master driver software is doing something (flushing the
receive buffer, probably) that doesn't allow it to cope with responses that
arrive in less than, lets say, 10 ms.
- The only solution I see is to install a gateway with a configurable response
delay on the RS-232 side, or something to that effect.
Thanks to everybody
Regards
Pablo Lioi
Total Austral S.A.