RE: Soka|Defag|Frequency

  • From: "Dan Klobnak" <dan.klobnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 08:30:22 -0500

We recently had a 16 gig limit issue (yes, shame on me). While it was pretty
easy to deal with, as we recognized the issue in advance and had structured a
plan to mitigate, the walls came down (upper management did not want
quotas...that mom-pop mentality not liking to be kicked into corporate
structure. Guess who can implement quotas now?)
Anyway, we moved a lot of files from priv to pub. We do need to an offline
defrag to clean up. This will be the first offline in 3 plus years.
Reading up on it the subject, it appears that offline defrag is really a
one-two operation:
running eseutil followed by ISinteg...
quoting Goexchange.com, I thought this was a pretty good explaination:
"ESEutil checks and fixes individual database tables however it isn't concerned
about the mail data contained in an ESE database. ESEutil's job is to examine
the individual pages, check them for correctness by comparing a computed
checksum against a checksum stored in the page header, and verify that each
page's data is consistent.
ISinteg checks the mail data itself in an ESE database and fixes the links
between tables"
or, put another way:
" Running ESEutil is like having a structural engineer check your house's
foundation. The engineer doesn't care what's inside the house. The engineer
cares only whether the underlying structure is sound. Running ISinteg is like
having an interior decorator come inside your house to check the way you've
laid out your furniture."

So, what is the consensus? IF one is forced to deal with an offline defrag,
should both operations be run (it appears most settle for ESEutil.

I am planning on running these soon, after I migrate some more of my users and
get some more mass deletes accomplished.

Thanks!