RE: Soka|Defag|Frequency

  • From: "Ripon Bahl" <ripon.bahl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 13:51:26 +0530

I have been observing this mail thread from last three days. I would like to
clear few points on Offline defrag.

On daily basis exchange perform online defrag which manage the database to
some extent but cannot release free whilte space. In order to release that
white space you need to perform offline defragment. Now the question arises
is when to do it. Well the best way to judge is to check for event id 1221
in the Exchange server application log which will give clear picture of
white space in both private and public database. Based on that value you can
do a planning of offline defragment.

Hope this would clarify.