[ExchangeList] Re: IMF config

  • From: "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:05:09 -0600

Hmmm, should I dance around like a god?  or do they even dance?  :-)

I have to disagree with you John.  It is standard practice to require a
valid RDNS lookup in order to except a piece of mail.  Basically all you
are doing is verifying that the sender is in fact who they say they are,
or should I say the server connecting to your server is who it is
advertising itself as.  As you say, take a look at the real world:

A guy walks into your mailroom wearing a purple shirt with a unibomber
emblem and says "Take this package, it's from UPS..."  What's your mail
clerk going to say?  "I'll take it because I don't care who you are, I
just take all packages addressed to me..."?  I hope not, that's how
things get blown up, that's how your email system will get blown up with
viruses, spam, threats, etc...  If you cannot verify the origin of a
piece of mail and you except it anyways, you put yourself at risk, a
conscience email administrator is not going to allow that.

Just my .02

George Taylor
Systems Programmer
Regional Health Inc.