RE: Exchange 2000 Mdbdata

  • From: john Shoemaker <jllgzt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:21:12 -0700 (PDT)

I thought I had one from yesterday but my Veritas software or my Onstream tape
drive showed nothing on the tape backup from yesterday or any day last week. I
have five tapes. One for each day and I have been changing them everyday for
the last year and nothing has been backing up. But this is a whole other issue.
So, I have no backups. Unfortunately, the owner of the company told me to stay
all night if I have to to get email back up. So, I deleted half of the files in
the mdbdata folder. There were 3500 5 mb files and I deleted half of them and
then mounted the store, restarted the server and our email was back up and
running. However, I had several errors on the application log that I will deal
with tomorrow. All of the MDBDATA files I deleted, I backed up to an external
hard drive so I still have them available.

Mark Fugatt <markfu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:http://www.MSExchange.org/

Hi John

DO NOT DELETE any of the files from the MDBDATA directory, here are a couple of
questions for you:

   When was the last time you did a full online backup of your Exchange Storage
Groups?
   Have you configured your anti-virus software to exclude the relevant
Exchange files:
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328841

Don?t worry about the contents of the BadMail directory, you can safely delete
them, I would suggest you do it from the command line rather than via Windows
Explorer, you might also want to take a look at the BadMail Deletion download
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=782aaf0f-6239-40ad-adda-97863d852ff7&displaylang=en)

Mark Fugatt
Microsoft Services Organisation
Desk:   +44 (0)118 909 5630
Mobile: +44 (0)7966 858108
MSN IM: markfu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.microsoft.com/support

This email may contain confidential information. If you are not named on the
addressee list, please take no action in relation to this email, do not open
any attachment, and please contact the sender (details above) immediately.
Information in this email is provided in good faith. If you are a customer of
Microsoft, please refer to the terms and conditions which cover the provision
of support and consulting services to you/your organization. If you are not
corresponding in the course of, or in connection with a Microsoft contract or
program with its own terms and conditions, please note that no liability is
accepted by Microsoft for the contents of this mail.