[etni] Re: ETAI Newsletter 30 - May, 2010

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev.abramov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: laurie ornstein <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 13:57:10 +0300

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM, laurie ornstein
<laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> Shalom Lev,
>
> I think you are wrong here. ETNI is not the place for the sarcasm you write
> of.

 Don't get me wrong, guys and gals. I am not against David. I appreciate his
hard volunteer work no less than you do. What I am saying (and what you are
not getting, I'm afraid) is that if the unions have sold you short and ETAI
would not touch these issues with a ten-foot pole, then ETNI is the only
place where you can get together in order to discuss the course of action (I
stress, ACTION - not your regular whining like "Oh, when will they start
taking us seriously?!" and not your regular letter-writing). And the most
powerful tools that make people feel like ACTING are sarcasm, irony,
grotesque. You can, of course, agree to discuss things in a totally
unemotional manner - but unless you get really angry at MOE and ETAI and the
unions you will not move a finger. And unless you feel the pain and anger of
other people expressed through irony and sarcasm, you will hardly feel like
doing anything. Sarcasm has been the most powerful tool that allowed us to
survive the dark decades of the Soviet oppression. It became the driving
force that kept us moving and acting.

Why are you so scared of sarcasm?! Is it because as long as you restrict
your criticism to this neutered "professional" tone, you might feel
personally safe, while the moment you say something sarcastic it might find
its way home, into the soft spot of the powers that be who might then feel
inclined to retaliate? Are you just intimidated to the extent of being
scared not only to use sarcasm as a weapon, but to even read a sarcastic
message written by someone else?!

Lev

--
Lev ABRAMOV