[etni] Re: ETAI Newsletter 30 - May, 2010

  • From: Graham Richards <grichards03@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 09:30:13 +0300

To the ETNI list,

A few days ago, I sent the following message to the ETNI list:

"I was surprised to read in the ETAI Newsletter that there is no room
in ETAI conferences for a discussion of issues such as Ministry policy
and programs, or teacher conditions and pay. Aren't these issues also
related to teacher professional development and support?
Does anybody else find this strange?"

I was surprised at the amount of mail that I personally received in
response to this message. It appears that it is a hot issue that
people are not talking about publicly. I have been considering, these
past few days, whether to follow up on this. I know that ETAI is
performing a very important function in running these conferences. For
many teachers, I imagine that these conferences help them recharge the
batteries and keep going. But it also appears that ETAI could do more,
but has decided not to. If it were simply that there is just not
enough time to do everything, this wouldn't bother me. But it seems
that there is more to this.

Out of all of the messages that I received, I am including one here.
The writer said that there is no problem in my forwarding the letter
on to the list. But I have decided not to include the writer's name at
the end. I am still learning about the whole political intrigue in all
of this. I also think that this would be a very good topic for an ETNI
poll.

> Hello,
> mind if you forward this message to ETNI.

> I've contacted ETAI for 2 consecutive years to ask how they could exclude as
> important and controversial an issue as HOTS from their summer conference.
> Last year I was informed that there would be a panel discussion, but it was
> so disappointing that many of us -- not only HOTS protesters, but teachers
> who were neutral about the issue too -- were left thinking that ETAI is
> nothing more than an extension of the MOE.  (By 'disappointing', I mean that
> it was not at all a balanced presentation, nor were our questions answered
> well.)

> So I'd like to suggest that people who feel as you do should contact ETAI
> directly since writing on ETNI does not accomplish more than giving us a
> forum for venting!

> I considered responding directly to Penny Ur, but then realized that when she
> said that ETAI is not the place for rallies against the Inspectorate's
> programs (or something to that effect), she was probably reacting to the fact
> that I (on behalf of many) had asked them to consider including a more
> even-handed session about the pros and cons of HOTS this time!
** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal