[etni] School evaluation

  • From: Barry Praag <bpraag@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 04:05:01 -0700 (PDT)

Michelle you are so right. Of course school evaluation should be the basis for
university entrance but here in this country we don't do the obvious.
Think of all the extra work the poor universities would have to do,
interviewing kids to see if they actually suit the course etc. Think of all
those poor "how to take a psychometric test" companies and all the money they
would lose!! Worst of all think of all the poor kids who would actually have to
work at school and do all the homework and participate in lessons!! Have you no
pity!! Are you that heartless?
If school evaluation were the basis for university entrance we would see a big
difference in a lot of kid's attitudes.
BUT as you say it is all a pipe dream.

Enjoy what remains of the weekend
Barry Praag
Har Vagai

From: Michele Ben <mggben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 17:21:18 +0300
Subject: [etni] Re: Fw: re: Back to basics

I don't get it.  If we do away with the school grade in high school, why
should kids bother going to school or attending class?  Why not just set up
bagrut centers where kids go to take their tests?  As it is there is much
too much emphasis on standardized testing in our school system.  The best
thing would be to require a school evaluation to get in to university so
schools would be able to focus on educating and not testing.  Then we
could do away with all the testing.  That idea, obviously, is a pipe dream
in our reality.  So what exactly would doing away with the school grade
accomplish?
Michele

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/