[elky] Re: Sprint in the shop

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:06:35 -0700

You guys make me really appreciate that we now have a mechanic in town who not only seems to know what he's doing, but isn't that expensive either.

Mary
One of the last times I took the El Camino to a repair shop for anything, I decided my time was worth more than $45 for a tune up. That was pre-header days.... now it's about an hour and a half, or $75 of my time. Anyway, I paid the $45, and got the plugs changed. That was it. It was a Computer controlled carb, and they didn't do anything to that. When I opened the distibutor cap, because it looked like the same one, the center carbon electrode had broken in half, and fell out. Obviously, the tune up didn't include a cap and rotor.

I was so pissed, I don't take anything to a mechanic any more, unless, after reading about the procedure, I don't have the tools, or I have potential to do serious damage if I screw it up (Like timing belts on the Pathfinder.... I paid for that).

I may farm out the A/C, but only after I can find the right parts to put hoses back on. There are missing parts after the conversion to serpentine. I found one on eBay for about $80, after I spent 20 for one at a junk yard that ended up having holes in it.

I have been putting off the body mount project I am in the middle of for literally YEARS. Now I have to weld on it to get it back in shape, but the welder arrived today. It came with everything to use the CO2/Argon, except the tank. Before I spend the money right now.... on the setting inside the welder, it says to use heavier flux core for the 1/4" steel. That would mean no gas. Should I spring for the wire and hold off on the gas for the moment? Anyone with welding experience out there???

Get a Edelbrock carb from Chris and bolt it on yourself Saul. It was a piece of cake when I did it, changing from the computer to non. I had to change the distributor too, and you won't have to do that. 4 bolts and linkages, and you will be home free for 2 or 300 I think.