[edi581] Stoll Article

  • From: Danielle Bonnewell <dbonnewell581@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:22:06 -0700 (PDT)

There are several key points that are made through out this article.  The
strongest point of this article is made from the person who is giving the
interview.  When he is summing up his interview with Stoll.  He writes that
Stoll insists that children need more one on one interaction with their peers
instead of sitting in front of a computer.
I'm not sure that America's educational problems can made as simple as he has
made it.  I think that there is more that is needed to improve schools than
just more interaction with teachers and improved discipline.  Don't get me
wrong, these are definite issues.  But, they are not the only ones.
Stoll states that educators today need to be responsible, committed,
inspirational and hard working.  I agree.  But, even if a teacher has each of
these characteristics, not all students are necessarily going to learn.  We
learned that on the first day of school.
We need to find a happy medium where children are exposed to different subject
areas ( art, music, band, etc.).  We shouldn't take away from these programs
just so that we can say that we have a state of the art computer lab.
 We do need to have computers in schools, as long as they are used in
appropriate ways.  Educators tend to abuse them simply because they are there.
It's the same idea as using a t.v. as a babysitter for your children while they
are at home.  Let kids play with other kids.  Let them interact with teachers
and other adults.
Danielle

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx