[edi581] High Tech Heretic

  • From: "Fran Desiato" <fdesi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "EDI 581" <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:57:07 -0400

          The article High Tech Heretic, An Interview with Clifford Stoll,
was very interesting in the fact that I sort of agree with him.  I don't
think he is really saying that computers don't belong in the classroom, but
instead that there needs to be a certain balance between the two.

          Students still need teachers, not computers to guide them through
everyday life.  They need to still learn the basics and as an added gift,
use the computers to reinforce the learning that has been done in the
classroom.   Teach about WWII, but have students pick an important event
from history that can be presented through PowerPoint or find a WebQuest
that correlates to it.

          It goes back to the fact that you may not reach all the students
through one type of presentation, but you may catch a few more using a
different approach.  We as teachers try to incorporate as much as we can
into a lesson using as many different learning styles as we can, might as
well use the computer to capture another student.

          It is a shame that certain programs have been taken out of the
budget.  The loss of the arts in the schools puts students at a
disadvantage.  City students many never find their potential in music or
even find that they have one.  It is difficult for some to go to the
library.  There are no more card catalogs and who has the time to learn the
computer when they want run in and get a book.

          In the end I don't want computers to take over my job.  If we
leave everything in the hands of a computer, what will they need me for?
Stoll believes that students will lose the socialization and community that
we have now.  There are definitely some truths to this article.

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx