[edi581] Stoll Article

  • From: "Carrie Bennett" <cbennett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:12:48 -0400

After reading "High Tech Heretic" by Clifford Stoll, I was left thinking about
whether I agree or not agree with his thoughts.  I guess to me it seems like no
matter what, it will always be a
situation that will have both positive and negative aspects.  He does make some
very striking points that seem like they should not be ignored, especially
because he works in the computer world.

I feel like we are in the middle of a technology race that seems to be
neverending.  There will always be new forms of technology, devices and cool
software that will enhance anything.  We have grown
up with television and that has grown since we were young.  I believe that
computers, like television are ultimately effecting our children and how they
think.  It was not long ago when I was young
and all I did was play outside day in and day out.  We created new games and
stories using our imaginations.  Have children lost that?

Even today when we teach children and you ask them what they like to do, they
respond with watch t.v, play video games, and play on the computer. I think our
children and children of the future are
growing lazy and have no work ethic.  Is that a direct result of technology?  I
do not know.  I think as a society, parents have taken the easy route in
raising their kids by just placing them in
front of a t.v, video game, or computers.  Instead of parents actually playing
with their kids, they find ways to get them out of their hair.

I think that Stoll is right in the fact that he learned everything and had to
work hard.  A lot of my students "think" they are working hard, yet really are
not.  Technology has allowed us to rely on
everything being there at a click of a mouse.  I would have to say that I love
that about the computer as well.  Where are the limits though?

Ultimately, it all comes down to how technology is being used.  I think that
parents need to limit their kids to only watching t.v or playing on the
computer for a certain amount of time.  I think
that the basic programs should be taught in schools and used.  Our world is
becoming more technology oriented and children do need to know how to use it.

Carrie

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx