[edi581] Stoll Article

  • From: kelly lester <kellylester14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:37:13 -0700 (PDT)

I have mixed feelings about Stoll's interview.  I thought he made some valid
points, but however, I strongly support the use of computers in the classroom.
I think that technology plays a very important role in education and will
continue to do so.

I agree with Stoll in his statements that children need interaction with their
peers and teachers and that a good education requires things such as
responsibility, commitment and hard work.  I don't however feel that computers
discourage such things.  I can think of numerous programs/projects that I
myself as well as many of my colleagues have done with computers that encourage
these very same ideas.

Stoll made a good point about the need to provide time for computer usage in
schools.  I don't however believe that other areas such as art or music need to
be "pushed out."  Alongside the use of computers, art, music... are areas that
are all still present in my district.  I think that there are ways to integrate
computers in the classroom without getting rid of other areas.  It simply
requires thought, time and planning to do so.

The comment Stoll made about limiting student exposure until the age of 12
years, is another idea I strongly disagree with.  It's undeniable that
computers are and will continue to be a very important part of daily life. By
limiting the time we expose our students to computers is not providing them
with a quality education, it's only making them unprepared for the future.
Like it or not,  computers will continue to play a very big role in the lives
of our students and it's our job as educators to ensure our students have
adequate knowledge and exposure to them.

Kelly Lester

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx