[edi581] Stoll Article

  • From: "Elizabeth A. Aeckerle" <eaeckerle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:30:56 -0400

I agree with Stoll that kids these days don't spend enough time outdoors
playing and interacting with peers;instead mostly staying inside infront of a
computer or even playing video games. Yet,
unfortunately, that is the way our society is heading.  We can't individually
fight a culture that is advancing technologically therefore we must try to
adapt.
  Stoll stated a concern regarding that the internet is hindering to libraries
and communities. He makes a good point, but one that can also be argued. In
schools, if we try to utilize the internet
as a resource IN ADDITION TO books and magazines rather than instead of them,
there would seem to be a nice balance.
  He elicits some interesting questions such as "How much computing do we
need?". This is a good question and depending on the individual, there are
obviously many answers.  I personally believe that
as a community of teachers, parents, and schools we should encourage a balance
of computers and personal time with others.

Elizabeth Aeckerle
Seventh Grade Math
Rush-Henrietta

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx