[edi581] stoll article

  • From: Kate Pietrzak <smiles17171717@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

After reading the article HIGH TECH HERETIC: Why computers don't belong in the
classroom and other reflections by a computer contrarian, an interview with
Clifford Stoll I began to think about the effects of computers in the
classroom. I overall feel that Stoll's article about computers not being need
in the classroom is completely wrong. I feel that students need to be up to
date with what is happening with technology and the best place to learn this is
in school using computers.

Stoll has a good point in saying that youngsters need to be interacting with
peers and not be sitting in front of the computer. This may be true but I
believe it all depends on how long the child is sitting in front of the
computer. I do not believe that in any classroom a teacher would have a student
learning straight from a computer and never being interactive with others.

Stoll also says that computers offer instant gratification. He is implying that
computers are not solving the main problems in schools, which is discipline.
This may not be solving the problem but I feel that it may be used to help work
towards solving it. Computers are often motivators for students. Students want
to be able to go on to the computer to do research and go on the Internet.
Teachers can use this as a motivator to help students stay disciplined.
Students will not want to loose their computer privileges.

The one point Stoll makes that I agree with is that computer labs and classes
are taking over music and art classes. I feel that we need to find a way to
balance the school day so that students can attend computer class, art and
music within the week. I do not feel that any of these programs should be cut
from the school day.

Katie Pietrzak

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx