[duxuser] Re: braille graphics

  • From: "Pentronics" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:34:26 +1000

Hi Jean,

Pentronics is very close to releasing a new version of PictureBraille. This
will be a Windows version of the original PictureBraille for DOS.
PictureBraille for DOS was the program that originated BRG and VIM files.
BRG or BRaille Graphic files are full page files that are not really
suitable for inclusion in a Duxbury document as there can be conflicts with
space for page numbering and running headers etc. VIM files were originally
Versapoint IMage files. The original meaning is irrelevant now however we
have maintained the naming convention to retain compatibility with Duxbury.
These are files of variable size from 2 Braille lines upwards. The loading
of BRG and VIM files in 10.4 and 10.5 version of Duxbury has not been
reliable however our test with 10.6 show that the Picture function now works
very well.

PictureBraille for Windows will provide direct scanner support,
compatibility with all major Windows graphic file formats, (TIF, BMP, JPG,
GIF, EMF) and allow pasting of images from any Windows graphic/drawing
program. PictureBraille will instantly convert these sources to a Braille
dot equivalent and allow editing or additions, such as Braille labels,
patterns fills etc. These files can be sent directly to a Braille embosser
or saved as a VIM file for insertion into Duxbury 10.6.

Further information should be available on our web site by the end of the
month and PictureBraille for Windows should be available by the end of the
year.

Nigel Herring

Pentronics

33B Sheppard Road