[duxhelp] Re: Question 99 - Embosser Setup

  • From: "Jack Maartman" <jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:52:07 -0800

Hi George:

I think the argument against is weaker than the argument for:

Setting up a configuration can be inconvenient, but once set up, as long as
it isn't fiddled with by an administrator, things ought to translate and
emboss correctly.  The North American "Office for students with
disabilities", or its congener is supposed to know how to do this for
students who don't.  Regrettably, and you can contest this, computer
expertise appears to be lower among students in the U.K.

DBT differs slightly from OS to OS, but assuming we are talking about
networks here, that shouldn't matter.  However, I wonder if there is
generally one embosser per station, whether global and document embosser
settings might not be redundant.  But conceivably you might have a student
with two embossers, a braille Blazer for her class-room notes, and something
interpoint like a Juliet pro, for text-book Chapters that may include
graphics.  I loved the good old days in the prehistory of the 90s when I
worked under dos, and used a versapoint that sounded like a road drill, I
scanned and brailled all my own textbooks, then and of course it took up so
much time, that with my pressing commitments in the student pub, I certainly
wasn't reasonably expected to study.  But in all sincerity if something goes
wrong and the student can't handle the configuration, nothing gets printed
and there's nothing to study.

I hear Jan's frustration, working to deadline, with material  that needs
custom formatting, no doubt APH having state of the art everything.

Since MSW supports legions of printers, one could expect the embosser issue
to be just as simple.  For many cogent reasons it isn't.  What would happen
if document embosser settings were considered optional, or what advantages
to they have over global settings allowing one to change embossers on the
fly?

Just Curious

Jack