From: duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of George Bell
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:21 PM
To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [duxhelp] Question 99 - Embosser Setup

OK.  This is a hairy one, but I feel strongly enough to throw the question
out to all of you.

If you have multiple users of DBT, and/or more than one embosser in use,
please bear with me and read on.

Some background:

You all know I'm a Duxbury dealer, and one who is perhaps slightly more
passionate about DBT than normal.  (If that makes me an eccentric, so be it
- smile!)  However, I'll try to make my point in simplish terms.

The current concept:

At the moment, DBT's Embosser setup is set up in such a way that it applies
to the entire PC.  One for all, and all for one.

For a single user, or even for a family, using one PC with different
passwords, one embosser and one size of paper in that embosser, that's
probably fine.

My problem: (Even if it is only a British issue)

Many of my users are schools, colleges and universities, or major charities
with dozens of work stations on a network.

They often have two or more braille embossers.

Moreover, they have many members of staff who will specifically not always
use the same work station or embosser.

However, each member of staff and indeed each student, will have what is
called a "Roving Profile".  In short, when they log on to ANY workstation,
enter their Username and Password, they will have all their personal
settings available to them.

Those of you who have JAWS 6 installed on a system where you have different
users set up will appreciate what this means.

So your wife, husband, child, or friend can log in with their Username and
Password, and any changes they have made will be retained for them
exclusively.

The question:

Should DBT's complete settings follow suite?  And specifically including
embosser settings?

More background - and example:

Student "A" normally uses a Braille Blazer - 34 cells by 25 lines.  But
student "B" prefers 32 cells by 25 lines.  They can use any of 20-30
different PC's in the Library, or maybe even the same PC.

So we are back to the question of embosser settings per machine (PC) or per
user.

Argument against per user:

It means that each user, of which there could be dozens, has to set up their
own configurations.  Lots of work.

Argument for per user:

- No more conflict with embosser settings.

- Is in keeping with general Windows "Roving Profile"
principles.

O.K.  I'll duck below the wire for now.