[dokuwiki] Re: bugfix or new feature: save button after every configuration section

  • From: Sander Tekelenburg <tekelenb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:16:15 +0100

At 10:20 +0100 UTC, on 2008-03-28, Gabriel Birke wrote:

[...]

>> Where does Cmd-Enter come from? In 15 years of working with
>> Macs I don't think I've ever encountered that one.
>
> [...] my thoughts were as follows: [...]
>
> I admit that this key comination IS quite unnusual and unintutive.

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks.

I agree it's unusual (and thus not 'intuitive'). Moreover, I don't think it's
a good idea for individual applications to solve things that really are
systemwide problems. The more applications do that, the more differences
users will be confronted with. Short term solutions tend to become long term
problems.

Not to mention that there is no way to be sure that whatever key combination
won't conflict with another, in any given browsing environment. (A user might
already have mapped Cmd-Enter to something. Will/can/should Dokuwiki's
Cmd-Enter override, or be ignored?)

> Maybe we
> can submit the form when a user presses Enter and omit this functionality
> from the textareas.

Hm... That too sounds risky to me :) Due to inconsistent implementations (and
documentation) users tend to mix up Enter and Return keys. I wouldn't be
surprised if users would hit Enter with the intention to insert a new line,
then be surprised to see the app do a save instead.

I still think Dokuwiki's current accesskey="s" is the most sane thing that it
can currently do. (Until Web Forms 2.0 reaches Recommendation status, that
is. (And assuming that it does in fact provide a solution -- I expect so, but
haven't yet studied it seriously. If WF2 does not provide a solution, this is
the time to submit proposals to the HTML WG, or to WHATWG.))

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>