[dokuwiki] Re: Sendmail -- do I have too? WAAAH!

  • From: Redeeman <redeeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:56:33 +0200

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 11:00 -0500, Joe Lapp wrote:
> > ssmtp looks like it's worth a go.  I'll give it half an hour, if I can find
> > an RPM or a binary for Redhat/Fedora.
> >  (Can I trust a Debian library to run on Fedora?  I don't think I want to
> > risk that headache.)
>
> I can't get past GO with ssmtp.  It appears to be a Debian-only thing.  The
> binary RPMs I find are all for Debian and I can only find source packaged in
> RPMs, and Fedora isn't unpacking these RPMs.
>
> So I'm going ahead with PHPMailer.  Do we want a hack that people have to
> reapply after each DokuWiki upgrade, or do we want to tweak DokuWiki itself a
> bit to allow for a PHPMailer plugin?  I think I can keep the tweak pretty
> simple.

if you ask me, we should make dokuwiki use phpmailer as default, since
it can be configured to do whatever you want. we can always default it
to mail() like dokuwiki does now.

couldnt this be done by simply replacing mail.php?

but on another note, phpmailer would have to be hacked, to use the
language definitions in dokuwiki (and then we should add those).

also, as i stated in an earlier mail, i believe it would be nicer to add
another of those configuration areas to deal with phpmailer, so it would
be possible to configure it nicely. :D

i would be glad to help, if you want it.