[dokuwiki] Re: Sendmail -- do I have too? WAAAH!

  • From: Redeeman <redeeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:39:09 +0200

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 22:17 -0500, Joe Lapp wrote:
> Hello peoples,
>
> I'm having mail trouble with DokuWiki, but I'm pleading guilty and still want
> to get away it.
>
> Once upon a time Linux neophyte me ran a mail server on my Linux box and life
> sucked.  I've developed a bit of an allergy to complexity, idiosyncrasies and
> arcana.  So I quit that and ever since rely on other mail servers.
>
> My spiderjoe.com web site has a contact form, but I did that with PHPMailer
> <http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/>, having PHPMailer send via my ISP's mail
> server.  Very easy, and ports from server to server with no thinking required.
>
> But now I want to take advantage of DokuWiki's registration, notification,
> and subscription features.  Needless to say, sendmail isn't working out of
> the box, so DokuWiki isn't able to email.  Do I really have to spend a
> portion of my life banging my head against the sendmail wall, or can we make
> the DokuWiki mail feature more pluggable, so that I can code up a PHPMailer
> plugin to do the job?

i was going to do this, phpmailer seems the only sensible thing to do,
allthough its abit redundant with supporting both mail(), sendmail and
smtp, it does get the job done, its very easy, and it really works.

> And if you think pluggability is the way to go, what's the appropriate
> approach?  Have a config variable name the file that provides the class or
> functions?  Replace the default DokuWiki mail.php file with my own?  (I'm
> actually going to want to leverage some of the utility functions in
> DokuWiki's mail.php, unless we factor that out into a high level layer that
> calls a more basic plugin.)

im abit confused actually, right now it dosent seem to have any config
for sender info, i guess it just uses sendmail default for that.

i think we should create a section like there is for target, proxy and
safemodehack. however, leave it at mail()/sendmail default, so it works
just as now, but let people change.

another thing, we would need to hack phpmailer, since we would want to
keep its language stuff in the dokuwiki language files, however,
phpmailer seems to have a very slow release cycle (bugfixes only), i
guess this is because smtp/mail()/sendmail never change, so it shouldnt
be too difficult to update whenever a release comes.