[dokuwiki] Sendmail -- do I have too? WAAAH!

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:17:28 -0500 (CDT)

Hello peoples,

I'm having mail trouble with DokuWiki, but I'm pleading guilty and still want
to get away it.

Once upon a time Linux neophyte me ran a mail server on my Linux box and life
sucked.  I've developed a bit of an allergy to complexity, idiosyncrasies and
arcana.  So I quit that and ever since rely on other mail servers.

My spiderjoe.com web site has a contact form, but I did that with PHPMailer
<http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/>, having PHPMailer send via my ISP's mail
server.  Very easy, and ports from server to server with no thinking required.

But now I want to take advantage of DokuWiki's registration, notification, and
subscription features.  Needless to say, sendmail isn't working out of the box,
so DokuWiki isn't able to email.  Do I really have to spend a portion of my
life banging my head against the sendmail wall, or can we make the DokuWiki
mail feature more pluggable, so that I can code up a PHPMailer plugin to do the
job?

And if you think pluggability is the way to go, what's the appropriate
approach?  Have a config variable name the file that provides the class or
functions?  Replace the default DokuWiki mail.php file with my own?  (I'm
actually going to want to leverage some of the utility functions in DokuWiki's
mail.php, unless we factor that out into a high level layer that calls a more
basic plugin.)

Thanks for your advice and any chastisement you have for my dread of sendmail
and mail servers.

~joe