[dokuwiki] Re: using phpmailer

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:57:21 -0500 (CDT)

Redeeman schrieb:
> if you ask me, we should make dokuwiki use phpmailer as default [...]

But then we'd have to put PHPMailer in the DokuWiki distribution and keep on
top of PHPMailer changes.  It's easy enough to download PHPMailer.  I'll
provide a link on splitbrain.

> couldnt this be done by simply replacing mail.php?

Yes, but I'd scratch the word 'simply'.  I'll have to look into the
preprocessing that is done for mail() vs. the preprocessing that is done for
PHPMailer.  I suspect we need virtually everything in mail.php.

> but on another note, phpmailer would have to be hacked, to use the
> language definitions in dokuwiki (and then we should add those).

I'm not going to change PHPMailer at all.  Any change risks violating its
integrity and requiring us to do testing.  Let's leave that to the PHPMailer
guys.

And this means that we have two sets of language files.  But it also means that
we don't have to update our language files when PHPMailer's language files
change.

> also, as i stated in an earlier mail, i believe it would be nicer to add
> another of those configuration areas to deal with phpmailer, so it would
> be possible to configure it nicely. :D

I'm thinking we'll just have a separate mailer config file in dokuwiki/conf/,
not distributed with DokuWiki proper.

> i would be glad to help, if you want it.

Fantastic!  I need testers!  ;-)  There's very little coding to do at all.
What little there is I've already done for my contact form.  I won't get to it
probably until Sunday, though.  Very busy.

~joe