[dokuwiki] Re: Purple Numbers

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 00:37:52 +0100

TNHarris wrote:
Andi mentioned purple numbers being stable. But numbers alone aren't
stable with insertion. Adding Bears like so...
[...]
Invalidates all the references to dogs and its sub-sections.

Yes, indeed. HIDs are definitely more stable than pure line numbers. But the only approach for completely stable IDs are NIDs (which we don't use here). And HIDs are at least stable enough if you don't have any structural changes in the higher levels. But IDs like "#animals.mammals.dogs" are as unstable as HIDs. Just imagine renaming "Animals" to "Animalia". I must say, as I never imagined Purple Numbers useful for frequently changing pages, I never bothered too much about their stability ...

#an5ma5ca8do2be7:1

Definitely not my favourite! ;-)

I have read before that many purple number implementations take nested
lists into account. But I couldn't see the point of it. Well, okay, I

Perhaps not nested lists. That would just create unnecessarily long IDs.
But adjacent list blocks should be enumerated separately, I think.

Hmm. I'm not sure about this. Will need to think about it ... (Too tired now. ;-) )

Anika