[dokuwiki] Re: Purple Numbers

  • From: "Terence J. Grant" <tjgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:11:46 -0500

Hi Anika,

I haven't kept up fully with this, but isn't the point of a citation
to be human readable format rather than machine readable, and to
communicate this to other people, not machines?

If I were quoting something from a wiki for an article, I would
probably want to use a revision id and a paragraph id. Right now we
can use revision ids, but still lack paragraph ids.

Revision IDs refer to (in theory) static, unchanging documents.

Classically books citations refer to page numbers, and sometimes
paragraph numbers, but you don't see this for electronic documents,
and it occurred to me today that it's probably because we have CTRL-F.

All paragraphs in DW I believe start with a p tag, it might be enough
to just enumerate and anchor these if that's what you're looking for.
--
--Terence J. Grant