[dokuwiki] Embrace the new default template

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:42:38 +0000

Hi all,

Finally, our new default template is finished! \o/

Logged-in users can see it from today on on dokuwiki.org (users who are not logged in will still see the old one). Please report any issues to http://bugs.dokuwiki.org/index.php?do=newtask&project=1&product_category=16
It's not in the core repository yet, but will be soon.

I'd like to tell you a bit about the history of this template to make clear how much of an effort it actually was:

We've been unhappy with the current default template for a very long time now and had plans to write a new one ever since. I don't remember exactly when was the first time we talked about it, but I remember at least when Andi added tpl_include_page() (which was on 05 June 2009) that that was already meant for the new template and by that time the idea was already "old". Andi remembered that he did the tpl_actiondropdown() also for the idea of making the new default template more mobile friendly and that was even further back (17 August 2008).

I actually started to prepare the template back in 2009 (not quite sure when exactly, might even have been 2008?). But as we were lacking designers and professional design ideas, I went ahead and released it "without a design" as the starter template [http://www.dokuwiki.org/template:starter] in November 2010, planning to use it as the base for the default template whenever we'd have a design. And that plan succeeded, the new template is indeed based on the starter template.

Then we implemented Esther Brunner's first try of a new design at the Hackfest in Zurich in September 2010 [https://github.com/splitbrain/dokuwiki-template-dokuwiki]. I personally didn't like that design much, but Andi liked it. At least we solved a few "positioning problems" and had a few important discussions. But none of us had any time and energy to move it forward and it lay idle for a long time.

In July 2011 I asked my then-colleague Clarence Lee if he might be interested in designing it. Luckily, he was! :) He had already helped me with the starter template (mainly typography-related things, but he also had the idea to move the user tools above the wiki title). So, he already had an idea of what that task was about, although he hadn't used DokuWiki himself.

The first iteration [https://github.com/MrClow/dokuwiki-template-2011/commit/1c2583d6e97f3220db6eb34b0cd5243369b5d41b] was already okay, but we all (including Clarence) thought it's lacking something. ("We all" = Andi, Clarence, me, Håkan Sandell and Michael Hamann.) Then the second (and final) iteration came along with which Clarence was really happy and the rest of us were a bit reserved at first. It's a bit weird how we all needed to warm up to the new design, but the more we looked at it, the more we liked it. So, in case you don't like it at first, please give it a week or so, and most likely your perception of it will change. The main point is: The current design is the very first design that we are all really happy with! :)

One interesting problem we faced was that designing apparently doesn't really work like coding in an OpenSource environment. Apart from not having a designated decision maker (our team of 4 was still too big for consistent decisions, therefore it often turned out to be "design by committee"), not being at the same place when discussing things also made things more complicated. Parts of that are probably some misunderstandings, e.g. Clarence was really worried because he thought we didn't like the design. He even was quite surprised when I talked to him and told him that we were all really happy, because in the IRC chats that didn't come through. (I guess it's the human nature of first jumping to the little negative things, instead of praising first or at all. And it's also the fact that he didn't know our personalities and therefore couldn't judge how we meant certain things. So, there's a little reminder to communicate more and more verbosely and to be aware that others usually cannot read minds.) A great read regarding that subject in general is the discussion on: https://forrst.com/posts/Designers_how_do_we_get_you_guys_to_contribute-gVn

This is also our first try to finally optimize DokuWiki for mobile devices. (It was about time, really!) But please be aware that this is just the first step and we are planning to change a lot more during the next weeks. And we haven't had a look at any improvements for mobile *editing* yet (only for viewing the pages).

So, big thanks to Clarence for designing a template that works in several scenarios and looks great and professional, thanks to Andi for leading the decision making process and later on designing some smaller parts, thanks to Håkan and Michitux for testing and feedback, and the biggest thanks go to myself for doing all the hard work. ;-)

Enjoy the new template and don't forget to report any issues you encounter.

Cheers,
Anika