[ddots-l] Re: gord latency Re: New computer, help needed

  • From: "Phil Muir" <ddots@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:46:37 -0000

Stacy wrote: Hi Bill,

I am using the Presonus Firepod audio controller.  The multiprocessing
option is not checked.  I have run the wave profiler a few times.

Phil replied: check the "use multiprocessor engine" option in the audio options
dialog box.  Then,
go into your sound card control panel.  Remember that when using WDM drivers,
there are two places
where latency is affected.  Most people don't remember that.  Set the slider in
your sound card to
at least 64 buffers.  I have never found any system where you can run with any
buffer settings lower
than that.  Now, go back into Sonar and set the slider in the "audio options
dialog box" to 0%.
Reprofile your sound card then, raise the slider to at least 3%.  This should
give you latency of
5.8MS.  You can check that with the Jaws cursor in that dialog.  That should
cure it.  If not then,
we shall have to dig a bit deeper.

Stacy wrote: my system is 2.8 dual core processor, 2 GB RAM.  It seems that the
drop outs
start after there are more than 24 tracks with 4+ soft synths.

Phil replied: My system is slower than yours and I am not getting drop outs.  I
use a core duo 2.13
GHZ here and run 40 plust tracks with 4 instances of DR-008 running DFH.  I am
not at all surprised
that your getting drop outs.  You aren't using the "multiprocessor engine"
which, you definitely
should be as that will give you a lot more CPU power.  In other words: you
aren't fully utilising
your system at all.  The advice that you have been given not to use the
"multiprocessing engine" is
flat out wrong.  If there were as many issues as Bill and others seem to think
with this then, 12
Tone Systems would be flooded with htech support calls which, they aren't.
Thus far the only
sensible post I have scene on this was from Gord.  Gord was right on when he
stated that you can't
use Live Synthe Pro with the "multiprocessing engine" enabled.

Stacy wrote: I am also running some effects such as reverb, delay and
compression but all are
assigned through 4 tidy bus sends.

do you think that this is simply the maximum number of tracks and soft synts
I can use and still expect consistent performance?  Or do you think there is
some majic tweaking I can do to improve performance?

Phil replied: you should be able to easily run all of that without dropouts.
There's always
twiquing that you can do on a system.

Regards, Phil Muir
P J Muir Productions