[ddots-l] Re: I like it easy

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <BSmart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:47:19 -0500

For Brass, try Arturia Brass. The instruments are physically modeled, like
with the Yamaha VL products.

For strings, there are gobs of string products that blow away hardware
synths. Their are massive giga libraries of ensemble and solo strings,
sampled for each note, at multiple velocities, that have extremely long
loops. Even Dimension Pro has pretty long string loops. These go way beyond
the 30-40MB of string samples in even the new hardware synths.

Drums are owned by the computer. There are so many softsynth drum products:
integrated products like Drum Kit From Hell, sample libraries from places
like Yellow Tools with kits that are hundreds of MB of multisamples, and,
for electronic drums, there are so many sampler softsynths and sample
libraries available on the computer that we could talk about them for
message after message.

Of course, getting this stuff to work is a bit more complicated than just
selecting a patch on a hardware synth, so you trade off simplicity for
quality.

Bryan
  _____