[ddots-l] Re: I like it easy

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:40:51 -0600

East/west has a guitar library that is supposed to have every guitar voice imaginable. It is in the Giga format. I never got around to buying it, so I don't know how accessible it is... or if Sounds Online still sells it. It might be worth checking out, though. I don't think I am going to run Giga on my new laptop. Later on, I may try the GVI plugin, especially if people on this list start running it. As far as accessibility goes, Tascam doesn't really know what the word means... not even for sighted users.

At 12:47 PM 1/2/2007, Bryan Smart wrote:
For Brass, try Arturia Brass. The instruments are physically modeled, like with the Yamaha VL products.

For strings, there are gobs of string products that blow away hardware synths. Their are massive giga libraries of ensemble and solo strings, sampled for each note, at multiple velocities, that have extremely long loops. Even Dimension Pro has pretty long string loops. These go way beyond the 30-40MB of string samples in even the new hardware synths.

Drums are owned by the computer. There are so many softsynth drum products: integrated products like Drum Kit From Hell, sample libraries from places like Yellow Tools with kits that are hundreds of MB of multisamples, and, for electronic drums, there are so many sampler softsynths and sample libraries available on the computer that we could talk about them for message after message.

Of course, getting this stuff to work is a bit more complicated than just selecting a patch on a hardware synth, so you trade off simplicity for quality.

Bryan