[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Martin Vethake <martinv@xxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 16:43:13 +0200

In message <a38453e04e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message of 9 May, Martin Vethake <martinv@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <9ad1ebdf4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Using SparkFS? Does that not take ages? I do not really think that
> > > this approach is sensible. But I cannot see why it should be necessary
> > > anyway. Would it not be easier to format your external USB hard drive
> > > to RISC OS format? Actually, if it is bigger than 2GB you will need to
> > > do that anyway to make use of its size. So, I cannot see any situation
> > > where that would make sense unless you have a directly attached
> > > external FAT-formatted USB hard drive with 2GB or less that you also
> > > want to use on a non-RISC OS machine and that seems very unlikely.
> > >
> > [snip]
> > IMHO I'd rather leave the USB stick alone (if it is flash it is not
> > advisable to change the partition format) and use !FCFS to backup
> > my RISC OS stuff. Without compression it is quite fast and it preserves
> > my filetypes.
>
> Looks interesting <http://www.craig-wood.com/nick/fcfs/index.html>.  Do
> you know if it will (a) work with RISC OS 5 on an Iyonix and (b) if it
> will handle images larger than the 2 Gbyte barrier?

 Sorry, I can't tell. Nick used to be a friendly chap - ask him...
(The lastest version I have 1.11e dates back to May '98)

Regards
--
Martin Vethake
Uffenkamp Computer Systeme

snailmail: Uffenkamp Computer Systeme
           Gartenstr. 3
           D-32130 Enger-Dreyen
Inhaber: Kai Uffenkamp  USt.-ID-Nr. DE 125 408 721
email    : martinv@xxxxxx
web      : http://www.ucs.de/
voice    : +49-5224-978075
fax      : +49-5224-978076