[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 18:55:48 +0100

In message <4ee0b67faacharles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          charles <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <4ee0ab9573dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> I have a SARPC with a Unipod card and USB.
>> I can get an external 2.5 inch USB Hard drive that is powered from the USB
>> socket, and requires no other external power source.
>> Will this setup  function  connected to a Unipod?
>> Put another way... Does the Unipod have enough power to do the business?
>
> One thing to bear in mind is that these devices sometimes have two USB
> connectors to get sufficient power into the unit (I assume some form of
> current limiting on individual ports).  You will need to ensure that you
> have 2 spare ports.

The USB spec is 500mA per port, curent limited. In practice I see a
lot of tablets and laptops with no current limit - once the socket is
broken the plug shorts the 5volts, and the computer stops dead.
Pressing the power button then reboots it.

(It is fairly easy to break the plastic barrier out of a USB socket.
Unplugging carelessly, with a little more force than is sensible, will
do it. They are NOT child-proof.)

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx