[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 21:26:53 +0100

In message <9ad1ebdf4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

Yes. SparkFS implements an image filing system. The size limit for a
file handled using such a filing system is 2GB. In case SparkFS fails
to check for that limit it is not surprising that there is a crash.

Well done Martin. Such large amounts of memory are bandied about these days, I never dreamt there was a limit in there.

So if it needs saying there is no checking within SparkFS because I never knew there existed such a limit. Or perhaps I never imagined 2GB files would ever exist. I think I was still on a 40MB hard drive when I wrote SparkFS.

the overall RISC OS limit for file sizes in general is 4GB, so that is
a hard limit.

That is less than the RAM (memory) on many PCs.