[cst_board] Re: Rec Board/CST Water Contract

  • From: Keasha Kuhnen <keasha.kuhnen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andy and Heidi Mechtenberg <mechtenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 19:27:47 -0600

Hello all,

Here is the e-mail from Mike earlier to Issabella and I that may answer
these questions.

It looks like Mike is preparing for overlap of the swim team and lessons.

Keasha

-------------------------

Issabella,

Daily Schedule:

Lessons will run 9:30-11:00 Monday-Thursday (There will be some overlap
with Collindale Swim Team) which will be using the pool from 7-10:15 am.

5 Sessions:

June 1-11

June 15-25

June 29-July 9

July 13 – 23

July 27- Aug 7

I’ve attached the curriculum.

Registration will be done via my website -www.fortcollinsareaswimteam.org

I haven’t entered in all the information into the website yet so there is
still some work to be done there.

*Mike Novell*
On Apr 29, 2015 7:20 PM, "Andy and Heidi Mechtenberg" <
mechtenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Glad to hear from you Jayme.

It was my understanding, with A&B Pools now managing Collindale, that
conversations were taking place between A&B Pools, FAST and the Rec Board
that would accommodate both the lessons and the swim team. I am adding
Mike Novelle from FAST and Adam Hoffman from A&B Pools to this response to
be sure I am not speaking out of line. I believe that they thought sharing
the pool with both lessons and the younger kids practice time was going to
work.

We put 6 meets in there just as a place holder. Back in the day,
Collindale seemed to host nearly all their own meets because of the size of
the team. Now that we are limiting the size of the team, and hope to have
several away meets during our season, this is less likely to happen.
However, it is all dynamic from year to year. If you would like the
contract to be specific and signed after the planning meeting to know
exactly how many meets we would be hosting in any given year, I suppose
that could be managed, but that would mean a contract later in the year.
Certainly the Rec Board will be included when the number of meets is
finally decided on regardless.

The 3 special events is also a placeholder in lieu of specific number for
the contract year. In looking back in history, events like the Midnight
Mile and camp-out have occurred. Speaking from personal experience, while
it was a blast for the older kids, it was not a lot of fun as a parent.
So, I do not know if that would be revived as a tradition, but perhaps
heartier folks that I would like to see it back in the mix. I think this
current board is not strict on the idea of our events being entirely
private events either. Last year we had an ice-cream social, but it was
over at Warren Park. We do usually have a pancake breakfast prior to the
State swim meet. We also had our end of year pot-luck at the pool, but we
did not request that it be a private event either. In putting it to words,
having it as an open event is essentially a marketing opportunity for the
swim team – so to our advantage if kids see how fun it is! Regardless we
do not have an activities coordinator right now so we don’t really have a
solid plan this year.

In discussion about contracts, it really comes down to a philosophy
between having a contract that is very specific to each year vs one that is
more generic and open. There are advantages to either one. A more generic
contract lends itself to flexibility from year to year while a more
specific contract requires more attention each year. Certainly in any
case, open communication between the CST CAPS Board and the Rec Board are
key to all being on the same page.

Well, that is my perspective in any case. Does that help?

Heidi Mechtenberg

CAPS President