[CTS] Re: shutting off write protect

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:24:20 EST

If this (below) is the Bruce letter you mentioned, I already did this about 2
weeks ago.  The last time I ran McAfee, when it still said I have a trojan,
was in safe mode.  I'm pretty sure that the first time I did that I had the
sys/res shut off.

                            Dale

In a message dated 1/17/2005 9:59:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi Dale,,,, I may be a little off the mark here, but your system restore
folder may be toast because of the virus that was found in it. Some AVs wonât
even
scan system restore folders specifically for this purpose.. unless you
manually turn on scanning inside the folder.  Your best bet at this point is to
turn
off System Restore reboot your system then go back and turn it back on. Youâ
ll lose all your precious restore points, but since it already doesnât work,
theyâre useless anyway, to turn off system restore, right click on My
Computer
and chose properties.. System Restore should be one of the tabs . turn it off
for all drives, then reboot then turn it back onâ.then make a new restore
point.
HTH,
Bruce