[CTS] Re: Helppppp Mr Wizard! :-)

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:55:45 EST

In a message dated 3/6/02 10:21:31 AM Pacific Standard Time, hdb@xxxxxxx
writes:

> I once watched a tech
> in a computer shop clean contacts on a video card like that only to have
> the
> customer take it home and have to return it.  He, the tech, just couldn't
> get it through his head that this was what was wrong with the card, so he
> gave it to me.  That was at least two years ago.  I cleaned the contacts
> with Stabilant 22A and it's been working fine in my wife's computer ever
> since.

let's rephrase that a little.............. a couple of years ago you watched
a guy (that claimed to be a "tech") rub a dirty eraser across the contacts on
a perfectly good video card and when it still wouldn't work he gave it away
and replaced it with a new one (classic "blackbox mechanic"
syndrome)............... being closest he passed the card to you and that
solved his problem.......... "it was broke so I replaced it" (number 2 on a
blackbox mechanic's checklist.
now you, with a freebie in hand and nothing to lose, decide to determine if
that little bottle of magic that you paid so dearly for, will turn you into a
super tech and ease your mind about being suckered into buying the
stuff................. lo and behold, it worked ! ................ mind is
relieved and mamma got a new video card.....................
bottom line? if you can do that a few more times you'll be able to recoup the
cost of the bottle of magic..............
you realize of course that had the guy that waved the magic eraser wand over
the contacts been smart enough to be a real tech he would have known that the
magic wasn't in the eraser but in fact in the head and hands of the
user......... a "technician".
you might want to check and see if your friend and benefactor is still
alive.............. he sounds like the type that would bandage a cut finger

Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://questforcertification.com/cts/list_options.htm

List HowTo: http://questforcertification.com/cts/faq

http://questforcertification.com/cts/other_cts_lists.htm