[CTS] Re: Helppppp Mr Wizard! :-)

  • From: Hal Brown <hdb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:18:30 -0500

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 12:25:40PM -0500, Cuffy10@xxxxxxx duly noted:
>> IMHO using an eraser to clean contacts is not a good idea at all.  They may
>> appear cleaner, but in fact have a thin film over them and could be worse
>> than before.  I use Stabilant 22A, a product made in Canada.  You brush a
>> little on with a cotton swab and that's it.  This is especially good for
>> memory modules.  This stuff is not cheap, but if you ever have contact
>> problems it can save a lot of headaches.
>>

>The rationale is simple Hal.............. 49 years ago when I first
>experienced electrical contact problems an eraser was a favorite tool. You
>are correct about the film and hence the typewriter type eraser.......... a
>pencil sharpener cleans the eraser.......... the light grey color of the
>rubber in the eraser shows any contaminents immediately......... a turn in
>the sharpener solves that problem.
>The product you suggest, expensive or not, was not available to me in 1953 so
>I used the suggested eraser. It was simple, available, and it worked. I
>subscribe to the KISS theory so it would be hard as hell to change now.
>Of course, to clean large surface areas of copper (not in a PC) I still use
>muriatic acid (pool acid) and I'm sure there must be a product that's sold by
>the ounce instead of by the gallon that will do as well. I have an adequate
>supply of muriatic acid on hand so I'll probably never get to the point where
>I'll have to find out?
>
>joe

--------end quoted text----------

Wow, that's a long time ago, and of course you're right.  A lot of the old
boys in the computer industry still think that a pencil eraser is the way to
go, and they like to "let you in on a little secret."  I once watched a tech
in a computer shop clean contacts on a video card like that only to have the
customer take it home and have to return it.  He, the tech, just couldn't
get it through his head that this was what was wrong with the card, so he
gave it to me.  That was at least two years ago.  I cleaned the contacts
with Stabilant 22A and it's been working fine in my wife's computer ever
since.

Having worked for AT&T I've used a number of different contact cleaners,
especially before electronic switching.  If all else fails a really good
cleaner is lacquer thinner, you just have to be careful not
to get it on plastic parts.

--
Hal Brown
mailto: hdb@xxxxxxx