[CTS] Re: Helppppp Mr Wizard! :-)

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:25:40 EST

In a message dated 3/6/02 2:55:33 AM Pacific Standard Time, hdb@xxxxxxx
writes:

> IMHO using an eraser to clean contacts is not a good idea at all.  They may
> appear cleaner, but in fact have a thin film over them and could be worse
> than before.  I use Stabilant 22A, a product made in Canada.  You brush a
> little on with a cotton swab and that's it.  This is especially good for
> memory modules.  This stuff is not cheap, but if you ever have contact
> problems it can save a lot of headaches.

The rationale is simple Hal.............. 49 years ago when I first
experienced electrical contact problems an eraser was a favorite tool. You
are correct about the film and hence the typewriter type eraser.......... a
pencil sharpener cleans the eraser.......... the light grey color of the
rubber in the eraser shows any contaminents immediately......... a turn in
the sharpener solves that problem.
The product you suggest, expensive or not, was not available to me in 1953 so
I used the suggested eraser. It was simple, available, and it worked. I
subscribe to the KISS theory so it would be hard as hell to change now.
Of course, to clean large surface areas of copper (not in a PC) I still use
muriatic acid (pool acid) and I'm sure there must be a product that's sold by
the ounce instead of by the gallon that will do as well. I have an adequate
supply of muriatic acid on hand so I'll probably never get to the point where
I'll have to find out?

joe

Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://questforcertification.com/cts/list_options.htm

List HowTo: http://questforcertification.com/cts/faq