[citw150] CITW150 L3 Q4

  • From: Susan Bellah <bellahs1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150 <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:31:11 -0700 (PDT)

An interesting hoax I found was about online lottery
scams.  I spent several years working at the Michigan
Lottery and it is amazing how gullible some people can
be.  They want to win so badly that they will believe
anything.  These scams work a couple of different
ways, but basically a message is sent out stating that
you have won a large sum of money in a foreign lottery
 (sometimes the message will say participants were
selected through a computer ballot system drawn from
over x number of companies and x number of individual
email addresses and names from all over the world) and
that all you need to do to claim your prize is to pay
a fee in order to transfer the money or they ask you
for your bank information so they can deposit money in
your account.  These scams usually work on the
trusting elderly people because they look so official.
 For more reading on this subject visit
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_winning_notification.htm .

Susan Bellah
bellahs1@xxxxxxxxx
517-294-7812
517-483-1532

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.
Yiddish proverb

http://mail.yahoo.com