[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3Q5

  • From: Cindy Farley <farleyc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:24:14 -0800 (PST)

Gloria,
  Great information on Adware.  On my old computer I had so many problems with
Adware popups that it became impossible to work at all.  It became so bad even
the virus scan software wouldn't work.  To the unassuming person, you don't
realize how much information you can give out through something like a Gator
Pop Up where they ask to remember passwords and private information.  You
think, "Wow, this will save me time."  When in reality, it costs you hours of
time and money to fix the problem.  I now have two computers.  I have one
upstairs that only I can access.  The other one downstairs is for the kids.   I
tell them to watch when they are on the Internet.  Pay attention to Adware,
etc.  "But, I also tell them, "When that computer dies. Go to the library!"
You really have to be careful on the Internet.  I'm not sure kids understand
that concept very well!  :)

GJS1LCC <gjs1lcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  One of the societal issues mentioned in the textbook was Adware. My home PC
had several Adware files in it. They always showed up when I did a scandisk or
disk check. They either had to be deleted or quarantined. "Adware is any
software application in which advertising banners are displayed while a program
is running" according to
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci521293,00.html .
Adware is very intrusive and annoying. It can include a code that tracks
personal information and passes them on to a third party. Adware is also known
as Freeware. It does not cost a thing, except privacy. If your personal
information is stored somewhere on your hard drive, your private stuff can be
transmitted by the Internet back to advertisers in order to send you more
advertising. They call it market research. "Adware Gator is your smart online
companion that fills out forms and remembers passwords" according to
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml . Adware Gator
  falls
 into a group of software known as Spyware. It sends information about buying
habits and surfing habits to third party advertisers who pass it along even
further. Gator company has recently changed their name to Claria. The
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml website has great information on
how to remove Gator. However, even if you remove Gator, you still may be stuck
with GAIN (Gator Advertiser Information Network) software installed. The PC
Hell website states that "GAIN helps keep many popular software applications
and services free in exchange for delivering ads, information, and software on
all of the websites that you view". GAIN can only be removed by unistalling the
GAIN supported application. It ca nnot be unistalled directly. In my case, I
have no idea what I downloaded to get GAIN. I am still searching for it.
Another good site for definitions and removal tips is   http://www.adware.info/.

      Gloria J. Strahan
  A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. -
Josh Billings
  gjs1lcc@xxxxxxxxx

Cindy Farley
  farleyc2@xxxxxxxxx
  "Wise sayings often fall on barren ground; but a kind word is never thrown
away."
Author:Sir Arthur Helps