[cad-linux-dev] Re: image entities

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:54:39 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Tuesday 31 August 2004 05:16 am:

>Consistency. =A0Each of the .yml files is effectively a complete (but
>very small) drawing - It's a drawing that can't be subdivided any
>further, but it can be opened and edited independently.
>
>So a yml entity might say "I'm a circle with 10mm radius and I live
>at these coordinates" - This is similar to a jpeg file: "I'm a
>rectangular bitmap 11.111 inches wide, 8.333 inches high and I live
>at 0, 0".

Let's keep only .yml files in the root.  That's more consistent than a=20
stray .jpg or .txt.

>Another way of looking at it is that all files/entities in the
>directory "root" are to be treated as part of the drawing directly,
>sub-directories can contain other stuff:

Right.  We need to reserve a "namespace" for each of these=20
directories.

>3. Miscellaneous resources that may be referred-to by elements, such
>=A0 =A0as text files and images.
>
>So your way of seeing embedded bitmaps fits into (3) quite well -
>Though I would keep these bitmaps out of the "root" as they would
>then be implicitly part of the drawing itself.

Right.  A file "5.yml" contains the image placement, scale, and=20
clipping information.  It also points to an image file.  I don't see=20
any benefit in pointing to a directory with one image in it.  That=20
turns the image into a special case over the .yml file, while=20
pointing to an image file turns it into a special case over the xref. =20
I think the latter is more consistent.  It takes the exception away=20
from the toplevel (filetypes in the root) and puts it to the entity=20
level.

As for subdirectories which contain miscellaneous resources, I propose=20
an "attach/" directory which *could* contain xref directories and=20
images (other items?)  This would be an optional feature (or handled=20
by a standalone program), so you could tarball a single directory to=20
capture an entire drawing and move it to another machine.

=2D-Eric
=2D-=20
Cult: A small, unpopular religion.
Religion: A large, popular cult.