[cad-linux-dev] image and viewport entities

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:04:44 -0500

Anyone have any thoughts on these?  I've been working with image
entities in dwg files for a couple years now, so I can attest that
the mixing of a local right-handed coordinate system with a global
left-handed system is an absolute pain.

Clipping is my main concern here.  How should viewports and images be
clipped?  Using an invisible entity?  I could see possibly an
un-named layer or something (somehow the layer is a child of the
viewport or image?)

If you want to clip to a circle, you just refer to the circle.

The other option is that the viewport or images has one "clip_entity:"
slot where we nest some entity data-structure (e.g. circle, arc,
etc.)  That frees-up the issue about an entity not on a layer, etc.
without having to use an entirely new syntax to express the clipping.

--- # ./<ID>.yml                 # viewport entity
ID: integer
points:
  -                              # bottom-left corner
    - float                      # x
    - float                      # y
    - float                      # z (optional)
  -                              # top-right corner
    - float                      # x
    - float                      # y
    - float                      # z (optional)
type: "viewport"
layer: layer_ID
clip:
  points:
        -
          - float # x
          - float # y
          - float # z (optional)
        -
          - float # x
          - float # y
          - float # z (optional)
  type: "polyline"
  closed: boolean
color: [hex, "style"]
object_style: object_style_ID
linetype: [linetype_ID, "style"]

So you just take whatever entity is clipping, but without the
layer/style/color/linetype info and plug it in.

BTW, the viewport needs more info (what is it viewing.)  Is using a
rectangle for viewports/images okay?  Another option is using one
point, plus rotation and size (height/width) values.

--Eric
--
A counterintuitive sansevieria trifasciata was once literalized
guiltily.