[cad-linux-dev] Re: Base directory format identifier

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:07:36 +0100

On Thu 26-Aug-2004 at 18:18 -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> > What should the global directory identifier file be called?
>
> >- DIRTYPE
>
> Works for me.  Maybe "DIRTYPE.yml", with the extension optional?

That's assuming it is a YAML file.  It could be as simple as having
the version on the first line and a URI on the second:

    rhizopod 5.6
    http://www.example.com/dirtype/rhizopod/5.6/

> Is this somehow then becoming part of the "ocean" spec?  I'm not
> sure that it has to stay exactly like this forever.

I'm thinking beyond that, it should be useful for other
directory-based formats such as photo albums and music collections.

> Here's a good one for you, when does "file my_hub/" start to return
>   my_hub/: rhizopod database Version 5.6
> instead of
>   my_hub/: directory

It would be cool if nautilus and konqueror did the same.

--
Bruno