[cad-linux-dev] Re: image entities

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:16:56 +0100

On Sat 28-Aug-2004 at 11:12 -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> >> This should just point to the image filename.
> >
> >Why? when it would be simpler to render an image-file into a drawing
> >in exactly the same way as any other entity.
>
> Okay, but if the image refer's to a file in my image repository, I
> want to leave that file where it is.  What does having a jpeg in the
> drawing/ directory do?

Consistency.  Each of the .yml files is effectively a complete (but
very small) drawing - It's a drawing that can't be subdivided any
further, but it can be opened and edited independently.

So a yml entity might say "I'm a circle with 10mm radius and I live
at these coordinates" - This is similar to a jpeg file: "I'm a
rectangular bitmap 11.111 inches wide, 8.333 inches high and I live
at 0, 0".

Another way of looking at it is that all files/entities in the
directory "root" are to be treated as part of the drawing directly,
sub-directories can contain other stuff:

1. Entities that may or may not be referred-to by elements in the
   drawing itself (such as linetype definitions).

2. Other drawings that may or may not be being used as blocks or
   'paperspaces'.

3. Miscellaneous resources that may be referred-to by elements, such
   as text files and images.

So your way of seeing embedded bitmaps fits into (3) quite well -
Though I would keep these bitmaps out of the "root" as they would
then be implicitly part of the drawing itself.

--
Bruno