[bookshare-discuss] Re: paula dean family cookbook submitted

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 06:17:31 -0800

Hi, Traci, what I did when proofreading was check with the submitter of the
book about what was supposed to be in the text if I wasn't sure. Now the
number of times the submitter is emailed depends entirely on your
familiarity with various things: dialects, the tendency for SF and fantasy
books to have unfamiliar names for people, objects, etc. that the author
makes up to give the book verisimilitude, etc. I rarely had to bother the
submitter because the second book I proofread used Biblical nomenclature and
I was familiar with that. Because I've read my share of science fiction
literature, I knew I would be seeing stuff that was out of the common way,
so to speak. I'd just write and say "I just saw the following word on page
number 23 (write word). Is this supposed to be in the book?" I'd get a note
assuring me the word is supposed to be there. I only do this if through
reading the file I'm unsure. I generally think that if I see certain words a
number of times and spelled the same way, they are supposed to be in the
book. I don't bug the submitter unless I'm really unsure about something.
I'll also periodically write for the sake of courtesy and inform him/her how
the proofreading is progressing, what kind of problems I found and what I
did about them, that sort of thing. Regards,  Kim.

  _____