[bookshare-discuss] Re: Need Suggestions, please.

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 20:45:54 -0500

That will most certainly miss the publisher quality books because there is a severe lack of categorization with them. However, there are a lot of ways to search those for something of interest too. Don't forget that the advanced search allows a search of the text of books in the collection and I have found some pretty obscure books by searching for phrases of interest that way. Also, don't forget that Bookshare is not the only site for people who read books. There is Good Reads; there is Google Books; there is Open Library; there are many others. Browsing and searching those sites can be a way of finding a lot of books that you might be interested in. When you do just come back to Bookshare and do a search for what you want that you have found elsewhere. As huge as the Bookshare collection has gotten it is likely that you will find it. If you don't then try again with a backup book of interest and sometime in the future try your first choice again. As fast as books are being added it just might be there the next time.

On 12/28/2014 8:00 PM, Judy s. wrote:
Hi Deborah,

I was going to suggest a similar search, but doesn't this search miss most of the Publisher Quality books, since they are usually added to the collection without any category?

I can't figure out a way to search for new books either that includes just fiction that will list all of the publisher quality additions because of that.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese> On 12/28/2014 6:53 PM, Deborah Murray (Redacted sender blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

Hi Dianne,

You’re on the right track using the advanced search on Bookshare. You can check one or more categories you are interested in as well as book quality.

After you get your search results, look for the combo box with sort options. At or near the bottom is a choice to sort by date added. Choose that option and press enter on the “go” button and your search results should come up with the newest books at the top.

Let us know if that works for you…

Deborah