[bookport] Re: USB 1 vs 2 cables

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:32:44 -0400

The moral of the storie is:

1. Try to use a short cable. (The one that came with the Book Port is =
short enough, and is the preferred cable.)

2. Some long cables do not work with USB 2 ports, even if you are =
connecting USB 1.1 devices. (I knew this; unfortunately these recent =
issues didn't bring this to mind.)

3. If you are unfortunate enough to require an extension cable, make sure =
it is certified for use with USB 2 devices.

4. If things go wrong, try another cable if you have one. Try all of your =
USB ports as well.

5. An incompatible cable can produce an error message stating that the USB =
device is not recognized or is not functioning properly.

Rob Meredith

>>> lskutchan@xxxxxxx 10/06/04 09:02AM >>>
As far as I know, there is absolutely no difference between a USB 1 and a =
=3D
2 cable.  Each of the machines I use has its own USB cable that stays with =
=3D
that machine, and I routinely use both USB 1 and USB 2 devices on each of =
=3D
the machines with no problem at all.

Now, just today, I did notice that the cable on my main machine at work =
=3D
was not working with an external hard drive mp3 player device, and it =3D
turned out to be the length of the cable that mattered.  It was a 6 foot =
=3D
cable.  Oddly enough, I have two of these external hard drive mp3 player =
=3D
devices, an Archos and a Napster, and it only mattered with the Napster =
=3D
device. =3D20