[bookport] Re: USB 1 vs 2 cables

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:28:29 -0400

Hello Larry.

Although the number of conductors and their configuration do not differ
between typical cables for u s b 1 and u s b 2, the fact that we move from
transfer rates of 8 megabits to 480 megabits per second requires greater
insulation, thus explaining the differences in thickness between the two. I,
also, have had no problems when using older u s b 1, thinner cables with u s
b 2 devices. In all probability, the u s b factor is not relevant here since
the BookPort has not been modified in terms of hardware. But, when trying to
run down elusive bugs, one looks everywhere.

Jerry